Health & LivingNews

Keep Real Christmas Trees Watered to Avoid Fire Hazard

‘Tis the season for family, friends and fire, if you’re not careful.

Charles City Fire Chief Eric Whipple says winter and Christmas time fires can be avoided if you take the proper precautions. 

Whipple cautions never plugging a space heater into a power strip or extension cord. He says while space heaters are made safer, they use a lot of electricity that could cause a power overload and subsequent fire.

According to the National Fire Protection Association (NFPA), between 2015 and 2019, U.S. fire departments responded to an average of 160 home fires per year that were started with Christmas trees. The NFPA adds these fires result in an average of two deaths every year, plus a dozen injuries and $10 million in direct property damage.

Mark Pitz

News Director/Weekdays 10am to 2pm on 95.9 KCHA
ADVERTISEMENT

Back to top button