Health & LivingNewsOutdoors

New Hampton Applies for COVID Grant to Assist Tribe Trail Project

Paving and blacktop resurfacing associated with the Tribe Trail in New Hampton could get a boost from pandemic-related funding.

The American Rescue Act approved by Congress and President Biden earlier this year includes about $5 million in COVID stimulus grants for Iowa recreational projects like Tribe Trail. Economic Development Assistant Director Megan Baltes says they have applied for over $780,000 to cover about 80% of the cost of Phase 3 of trail paving. The remaining 20% must come in local matching funds, which Baltes is confident in attaining.

Baltes says the Tribe Trail, which will include over six miles of trail throughout town when finished, was a project started in 2016 to enhance the quality of life for citizens of New Hampton.

Baltes adds the COVID grant would move the timeline of completion for the project up by at least a year, but they won’t know if their grant application is successful until August 15th.

ADVERTISEMENT
Back to top button
X