Iowa is taking coronavirus seriously – and in that vein – Gov. Kim Reynolds, as of noon March 17th, has announced a State of Public Health Disaster Emergency.
This is a move to create required social distancing in communities to slow the spread of the virus. This declaration will temporarily hold restaurants to drive-through, carry-out, and delivery only. This will also close all bars and recreational facilities in the state.
Movie theaters, casinos, mass gatherings, senior centers, will all be closed until March 31st at 11:59 p.m.
Gov. Reynolds said this about the decision:
“These are unprecedented times and the state of Iowa will do whatever is necessary to address this public health disaster. I have authorized all available state resources, supplies, equipment and materials to combat the spread of COVID-19. The actions taken today are necessary to protect the health and safety of all Iowans and are critical to mitigating the spread of the virus.”
Here is a full list of businesses and events disrupted by the move:
- Restaurants and Bars: All Restaurants and Bars are hereby closed to the general public except that to the extent permitted by applicable law, and in accordance with any recommendations of the Iowa Department of Public Health, food and beverages may be sold if such food or beverages are promptly taken from the premises, such as on a carry-out or drive-through basis, or if the food or beverage is delivered to customers off the premises.
- Fitness Center: All fitness centers, health clubs, health spas, gyms, aquatic centers are hereby closed.
- Theaters: All theaters or other performance venues at which live performances or or motion pictures are shown are hereby closed.
- Casinos and Gaming Facilities: All casinos and other facilities conducting pari-mutuel wagering or gaming operations are hereby closed.
- Mass Gathering: Social, community, spiritual, religious, recreational, leisure, and sporting gatherings and events of more than 10 people are hereby prohibited at all locations and venues, including but not limited to parades, festivals, conventions, and fundraisers. Planned large gatherings and events must be canceled or postponed until after termination of this disaster.
- Senior Citizen Centers and Adult Daycare Facilities: All facilities that conduct adult day services or other senior citizen centers are hereby closed.