Last Updated – September 24, 2016 10:40am
**Charles City Residents & Businesses: Do NOT flush toilets or let any wastewater go down any drains until you hear otherwise.**
No announcement at this time
The Learning Center in Charles City – Closed on Monday due to the current water restrictions in the city of Charles City
Charles City – The Farm to Fork event scheduled for Sunday, Sept. 25 is re-scheduled for Sunday, October 2nd.
Charles City – Blood Drive at Messiah Lutheran for Saturday, Sept. 24 has been cancelled
Charles City – IC Festival still on tonight at Gilbert’s sale yard. Starts with Mass at 4:30pm.
Mason City – The Balloon Release scheduled for Saturday, Sept. 24 in honor of the National Day of Remembrance for Murder Victims has been cancelled.
No announcement at this time
Charles City YMCA – Programs scheduled for Saturday morning have been cancelled
Landmark Laundry – They will not operate washing machines today due to the city asking to reduce water waste, however, dryers are available.
Numerous roads in Charles City that are near the river are closed or will be closed soon.
….THESE ROADS ARE CLOSED….
1) South Grand between 5th Street and 8th Street
2) 6th Street between Allison and South Grand Ave
3) Beck Street between South Grand Ave and 8th Street
4) Clark Street between North Grand and Hawkins
5) The Park Drive loop between Gilbert Street including Cedar Circle and Lions Field Drive
6) The roads nearest Sportsmans Park on the north end of Charles City
7) Roads leading into and leaving Westwood or Oak Park
8) Court Street between Gilbert and South Joslin
9) Clark Street at the intersection of Brantingham
…. ROADS BEING AFFECTED BY FLOODING BUT STILL OPEN…
1) Brantingham between Gilbert and North Grand, water currently affecting portions of outer lanes, still passable
2) Both Main Street Bridge and Brantingham Bridge will remain OPEN
… PORTABLE RESTROOMS … – Due to the wastewater treatment plant failure port-a-potties are set up at the following locations in Charles City. NOTE: Drinking water is perfectly safe.
- Floyd County Courthouse
- Charles City High School
- Floyd County Medical Center (Hospital)
- Subway / Kwik Trip
- North Grand Building (500 N. Grand)
- Washington Elementary School
…. CLEANUP INFORMATION FOR CHARLES CITY ….
BUCKETS – Flood cleanup buckets for Charles City residents affected by the flood will be available at 10am Monday. There are 400 buckets available. Pickup location will be announced later today.
HELP – Volunteers are being assembled. If you want to volunteer, keep watching our Facebook Page for the latest information on where help is needed.
HOMEOWNERS – It’s your responsibility to get your flood damaged property to the curb. Please work to get your debris on the curb by 6am Monday. If assistance is required, please call the Floyd County Emergency Operations Center at 641-257-6144.
RIVER CREST – The river has crested and is starting to recede rapidly.
DRINKING WATER – Drinking water is safe.
WASTEWATER TREATMENT – Is still under repair. We are asking residents in Charles City, also including the Maple Heights area, to not flush waste, take a shower, do laundry or wash dishes until further notice.